This workshop is full. Please phone us if you would like to be put on a wait list.
This workshop will be beneficial for you if:
· Positive Motivators (stickers, charts, money) don't seem to help the child and sometimes cause the situation to become worse.
· Negative Consequences (time outs, punishments, angry reprimands) don't change the child’s behavior in a positive way and may even make them angrier, more non-compliant or more inflexible.
· The child or adolescent you are thinking about exhibits intense temper outbursts, oppositional behaviors, and/or verbal and physical aggression. Typically they also struggle in the areas of flexibility/adaptability, frustration tolerance and the ability to problem solve effectively.
The Collaborative Problem Solving approach pioneered by Drs. Ross Greene and Stuart Ablon through the Department of Psychiatry at Massachusetts General Hospital, helps adults teach and assist children and youth who experience these challenging difficulties, while reducing the frequency and intensity of the explosive, inflexible noncompliant behaviors.
Through large group opportunities, video excerpts,and case examples, participants will understand:
· How different explanations and interpretations of these behaviors lead to dramatically different approaches.
· Why conventional reward and punishment procedures may not be effective for many children who fit this profile.
· The necessary steps in implementing the CPS approach.
· Ensuring you’re part of the solution, rather than unintentionally adding to the problem
About the Facilitator: Kent Hollingsworth, M.A., CSFT, has been providing counseling support to children, youth and adults for more than 20 years. He is a Certified Solution Focused Therapist and Supervisor. Kent has received advanced level training through Dr. Greene and has facilitated workshops in the Collaborative Problem Solving approach to schools, agencies, group homes, and parents for nearly a decade, with a focus on supporting persons with special needs. He has also implemented this approach with students, parents and school staff members through his work as a School Counselor and Behavioral Consultant. In addition to this workshop, he teaches Beyond the Basics: Working with Explosive, Noncompliant Individuals II, as well as workshops on Solution Focused Therapy and Grief, Trauma and Loss, and Supporting Adults with Challenging Behaviors: A Collaborative Approach.
Who Should Attend: Teachers - Educational Assistants - Child and Youth Care Workers - Daycare Workers - Group Home Staff - Parents - Other adults interested in working with oppositional, inflexible, easily frustrated, explosive children, now or in the future.
Space is limited!
Early Bird Special: Register Before August 31—$99 After August 31—$115
PAYMENT (Payment must be received at time of registration)
CHEQUE: Payable to Key Connections Consulting Inc. - please mail or drop off registration form with payment.
CREDIT CARD: Please complete registration form and payment online.
IN PERSON: Registration and payment can be made at our office – Debit, American Express, Visa, MasterCard, Cash and Cheques accepted.
QUESTIONS? Contact us at 403.524.2522 or Contact@KeyConnectionsConsulting.com
|Working with Explosive, Non-Compliant Children and Adolescents - Level I||$99.00|