This workshop will be beneficial for you if:
· Positive motivators (stickers, charts, money) don't seem to help the child and sometimes cause the situation to become worse.
· Negative consequences (time outs, punishments, angry reprimands) don't change the child’s behavior in a positive way and may even make them angrier, more non-compliant or more inflexible.
· The child or adolescent you are thinking about exhibits intense temper outbursts, oppositional behaviors, and/or verbal and physical aggression.
The Collaborative Problem Solving (CPS) approach pioneered by Drs. Ross Greene and Stuart Ablon through the Department of Psychiatry at Massachusetts General Hospital, helps adults teach and assist children and adolescents who experience these challenging difficulties, while reducing the frequency and intensity of the explosive, inflexible non-compliant behaviors.
Through large group opportunities, video excerpts, and case examples, participants will understand:
· How different explanations and interpretations of these behaviors lead to dramatically
· Why conventional reward and punishment procedures may not be effective for many
children who fit this profile.
· The necessary steps in implementing the CPS approach.
· How to be part of the solution, rather than unintentionally adding to the problem.
About the Facilitator
Kent Hollingsworth, M.A., CSFT, has been providing counselling support to children, youth, and adults for more than 20 years. He is a Certified Solution Focused Therapist and Supervisor. Kent has received advanced level training through Dr. Greene and has facilitated workshops in the Collaborative Problem Solving approach to schools, agencies, group homes, and parents for nearly a decade, with a focus on supporting persons with special needs. He has also implemented this approach with students, parents, and school staff members through his work as a School Counsellor and Behavioral Consultant. In addition to this workshop, he teaches Beyond the Basics: Working with Explosive, Non-compliant Individuals II, as well as workshops on Solution Focused Therapy and Grief, Trauma and Loss, and Supporting Adults with Challenging Behaviors: A Collaborative Approach.
$99.00 Early Bird Registration available until Sept. 6, 2019
$115.00 Registration Sept. 7 - 20, 2019
Payment holds your spot!
Participants will receive a Certificate of Attendance upon completion of workshop.
Space is limited - register early with your payment!
Payment must be received at time of registration. Methods of payment accepted:
CHEQUE: Payable to Key Connections Consulting Inc.
CREDIT CARD: MasterCard, Visa
Workshops are held at our location. Please let us know if wheelchair access is required.
QUESTIONS? Contact us at 403.524.2522 or Contact@KeyConnectionsConsulting.com
|Working with Explosive/Non-compliant Children and Adolescents Level I||$99.00|